Otherwise known as The Great Rice Krispies Treat–you can’t beat a classic! This one is so simple and versatile, I couldn’t wait to include it on the blog. All you need is a pot, a stove-top, a pan, and 15-20 minutes, so it’s super easy to make from just about anywhere. The version pictured here was made in celebration of my niece’s first slumber party, so we went a little chocolate crazy, using Cocoa Pebbles and a melted chocolate top layer. And, of course, we had to heap on the cosmic sprinkles because everything tastes better in space.
One of the greatest baking discoveries I’ve made is that for almost any recipe that calls for melted butter, you can make your dish 10x richer and tastier by taking the few extra minutes to brown the f* out of that butter. I’ve done this in cookies, pies, and, most recently, here with the cereal marshmallow treats, and the result is always worth the added effort.
Rice Cereral Treats
- 5-6 cups cereal
- 4 oz butter, salted or unsalted
- 10.5 oz bag of marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon salt
- optional 1 cup chocolate melting wafers
- optional 1/8 cup sprinkles Suggested add-ins/toppings:
- crushed pretzels, m&ms, Reese’s cups, chocolate/peanut butter/white chocolate/butterscotch chips
- Butter 8″ square pan.
- Measure out cereal and set aside.
- Melt 4 oz of butter. If browning, you’ll want to continue to stir until butter starts frothing a bit and turns a nutty brown color. Take off heat and stir in one 10 oz bag of marshmallows. I prefer using a silicone spatula for easier clean up.
- When there are no more marshmallow lumps, pour in your cereal of choice and stir until evenly incorporated.
- Pour mixture into pan and use parchment or wax paper to press evenly across. If you don’t have parchment or wax paper, you can use your hands directly by spraying clean hands with non-stick cooking spray.
- For chocolate top, use a microwave-safe bowl to melt one cup chocolate melting wafers in microwave in 30 second intervals until just melted, stirring between each interval. When wafers are almost melted, reduce down to 15 seconds to avoid burning, which can happen quickly. This whole process should not take more than about a minute and a half. Pour melted chocolate over treats and spread evenly with spatula. Apply sprinkles.
- Let cool about 10 minutes, cut, and serve.
Tried it out? Let us know how it went!